Monday, August 06, 2007

My Land


They say that my ancestors settled here hundreds of years ago. They discovered this land and founded their settlement here. They toiled this soil and made their living here. The protected this land from encroachers. Giving their lives they guarded this land. My ancestors died here and are buried here. This land belongs to them and their offsprings are the rightful owner of this land.

They say that my ancestors settled here hundreds of years ago. They discovered this land and founded their settlement here. They toiled this soil and made their living here. The protected this land from encroachers. Giving their lives they guarded this land. My ancestors died here and are buried here. This land belongs to them and their offsprings are the rightful owner of this land.

They say that white men came and took over a huge portion of this part of the world. But my ancestors never gave up their ownership of this land. They protected it from the white men and even the Japs. When the white men left they gave a recognition to my ancestors that this land rightly belonged to them.

And today the rightful owner of this land is none other than the descendants of the people who once discovered, protected and guarded this land. While the political map of India miss to indicate, the geographical landscape does not lie nor does the pass of time erase history. And by the same token is this claim - that this land belong to my people - just.

Some people gave a fancy name to my land. They tried to make it theirs but they couldn't. They tried time and again to call it theirs. They say they don't want to lose this land. But they never succeeded and never will. For one can never lose what he never had. I remember when my generation experienced a threat. And I remember my people getting anxious. But I also remember my people who stood and guarded this land. Many of my people sacrificed for this land. My people suffered and are left with wounds. But my people survived and proved their ownership of this land.

So when a brother asks where he belong, I shall rightly answer that it is here - in this land - that he belongs. And when an outsider tries to claim this land, I shall tell him to leave or else face the consequence. For my people are courageous and strong. My people are wise and they know what is theirs and what is not. And if an outsider should ask what else I have to say, I will tell them that this land belongs to my people and we shall never give it away.

My ancestors founded this land, my great grandfathers toiled this soil, my grandfather walked and worked in this land, my parents traded in this land and I am here, in this land, because of them. I shall live in this land and I will die in this land. And when I die my children will take care of this land. My children's children will live here and they will call it theirs. For this land rightly belongs to my people. This land was, is and in ages to come, my people's land - my land.

© Sang Valte, Tokyo 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment