Thursday, September 27, 2007

The other side of having an NIT

By Ginvanglian Tombing a.k.a lyanaz


I remembered myself posting in SSPPnet about the agreement signed between The Centre government and The Government of Manipur during the visit of the Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh. I wrote so because I was shocked by the fact that there was an engineering college in Manipur! I read in the newspaper about the happenings back home. And to set up an NIT was included as a part of the agreement signed between the the centre government and the state government.

The fact is that the then government of Manipur was trying to upgrade the existing MIT. What an MIT??Manipur Institute of Technology. Thats how I came to know about the existence of an engineering college in the state called Manipur where I was born and brought up.

In fact, I somehow feel awkward about it for being so ignorant. I remembered vividly that I heard about the existence of a polytechnic or something like that in a place called Takyelpat which I believe it to be in somewhere in Imphal. I could recall a classmate of mine while I was in my Twelfth standard who so happens to be a student from the same technical institute, may be that MIT thing or the Takyelpat thing, which I'm not sure. It was such that he had a dual studentship, the likes of the dual citizenship! It may be striking that he come to do his twelfth standard during his semester break which last for a very short duration of more than half a year. Can you imagine a vacation lasting more than half a year!! Is that too much generosity or over generosity. He was, i suppose good enough, that he complete his dual course. Passing his class Twelve or HSSLC with flying colors and without losing anything with his technical education. It may sound nice but this is just the tip of the Iceberg of the pathetic condition of our Jewel of the east-Manipur.

It strikes me sometimes to think that "what's the point of having an NIT or setting up one in our state?". We already have an MIT? WOW! MIT!!! For people with some technical background the word MIT is like a dream place. The reason being there is Massachusets Institute of Technology in US which is most of the time the NO 1 in terms of technical education. So the name MIT itself is a BRAND! Now I say we have an MIT, which I knew very lately. So what is the need of having another NIT? But the thing is, whether we deserve it or not? whether we like it or not? we have an NIT! atleast in the paper. Now being given, the location is an issue. I wasn't sure how much money did the government spend on the town so called Lamka by the localities and don't bother about the name Churachandpur which was a name and an official one whether they like it or not which they don't really care.

Will 1 crore that is a hundred lakh be too less to be the total amount that the government spend for doing great development in Lamka in a year. Or if it is roughly right then Fourty times the amount has been given anually to an NIT? Is it that an NIT fourty times worth Lamka? That much is the value of an NIT. I don't think we let such thing just pass by us. May be we have to earn it! I was figuring out Had an NIT been establish in Manipur? Forget about the location at this point of time. Will any student come to fill the seats? May be we can expect a dozen to come. But not a Hundred.

Placement I should say is now a days one of the most important thing for an engineering college. I was afraid who would turn up so far to come to pick up the fresh graduatees. This was the condition with the engineering college located in Arunachal Pradesh. At least AP is peaceful. Manipur! You wanna die? That's the first thing that people in the corporate world would be thinking whether we belief it or not? Leaving all these things, we can console ourself with the opportunity involved with an NIT.

The amount of employee required. At least a hundred family would benefit from the employment opportunity. Thats the minimum. The amount of money floating around, just from the student in the college would also be comparable with the one floating around in our Lamka. I was still skeptical with the fact that in my whole four years of life in one of the NIT, our normal schedule was disrupted just once due to the communal violence between the Hindus and the Muslims in the city near our campus. And that bandhs and strike are a daily routine, to sound better lets call a weekly routine in Lamka. What can a student studying in an NIT located in such an environment do with his engineering course which demands a lot of stress and tensions? May be I am so pessimistic. Whether we like it or not? Whether we deserve it or not? An NIT has been given to the state Manipur? Being comparable to a Gold mine, this NIT.

We cannot just let go the opportunity of being living in the locality of the top premier engineering college of India.
We have to fight for it.
May be we have to earn it.
May be we have to fight till our last breath.
Who knows!

www.zogam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment