Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I won't dance on stage again: Bhaichung Bhutia

New Delhi: Football star Bhaichung Bhutia, who won dance reality show "Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa" after toiling for three months, says he will not dance on a stage ever again despite his victory. "I don't think I will ever dance on a platform like this again. I will dance in parties at times, but never at all on TV," Bhutia told media over phone from Kolkata.

"I joined 'Jhalak...' for experience and now that I have won, I'm happy that it is over. I will get back to football now," added the shy icon.

Bhutia, who was paired with choreographer Sonia Jaffer, says he was not only an amateur performer but a "complete non-dancer" when he was offered the show. He says that he gave his nod for three personal reasons.

"When the show was offered to me, I was apprehensive about doing it because some dates were clashing with my matches. But then things worked out. I mainly wanted to give it a shot because of three reasons - for the experience, to overcome my fear of dancing and to fulfil my childhood dream of performing disco and to dance like Rishi Kapoor. A combination of these things drew me to the show," he said.

The Indian football team captain proved to be an underdog on the show, which had star choreographers Saroj Khan and Vaibhavi Merchant and actress Juhi Chawla among the judges.

Having started with some of the lowest scores on the show, Bhutia scored a hat-trick of full marks for his Rumba, a blindfolded salsa and international freestyle dance performances.

His personal favourite was the 'tapori' dance on "Dil ki guitar".

"I loved doing the 'tapori' dance - it was so much fun. I really enjoyed doing it," he said.

His improved performances apart, Bhutia's victory was backed by the many votes he got from home state Sikkim. The football star says he was "pleasantly surprised" by the support.

"I was pleasantly surprised that being a footballer I won so much support from people across the country. Usually cricketers are associated with such glamorous shows and TV viewers know them quite well. But to receive such a response made me happy," he said.

During the show, Bhutia was also slapped with a show-cause notice by Mohun Bagan, the club for which he plays, for missing their practice sessions. And in return, Bhutia terminated his contract with the team and told them that "I would not play for you any more".

Now Bhutia will get back to practising football and would go for exposure trips to Spain or Portugal to prepare for the Nehru Cup here in August.(IANS)

image surce: http://www.morungexpress.com/thumbnail.php?file=Bhutia_188170818.jpg&size=article_medium

No comments:

Post a Comment