Sunday, February 15, 2009

One of the Zogam.Com's comments on UKLF Decrees says "Zomis constitute mainly only Paites". My response

Zou cultural troupe in full traditional attireImage via Wikipedia

I am one of the many regular commentator on Zogam.Com. I love this site and sometimes contribute articles related to Zomu nationalism and others. I was so shocked when I come across one member's comment, saying "Zomis constitute mainly only Paites" on the news item "UKLF Decrees" about Zoumi Nami Festival. I was so sad when I saw the above quoted line while I think the Zous, Simtes, Vaipheis, Koms are also apart of Zomi. I was convinced that I should pen down at least a paragraph or two about the Zou's sacrifices.

I guess the above paragraph might confuse you. I am going to talk about the Zou tribe in particular. The Zou tribe in India is previously known with the organization names such as United Zomi Organisation, Zomi Sangnaupang Pawlpi and Zomi Youth Organisation. It is the Zou people that always cherish and carry on the name of the Zomi in India. The Zou people, if they are all like me, must be very proud to have sacrificed their age-old organisations for the sake of brotherhood among the Pu Zo descendants. I guess our ancestors Pu Zo must be very proud of the Zou people, who were not ashamed of their name even when the others, who are unaware of the belonging called them in any ugly remarks. The Zous are the only tribe in India who braced and accept Zomi as their nomenclature. The Zou people used Zomi as their name from 1953 (see UZO Reports here ). By that time most of the present Zo people (Zomi) except the Zous were ashamed to be called Zo or Zomi. You know why? Because they did not know their whereabouts and origin.

Once I Was Called Zomi, Now Zou

Once I was called Zomi Sangnaupang Pawlpi, but now I am call Zou Sangnaupang Pawlpi, Once I was called United Zomi Organization, but now I am call United Zou Organization. Once I was called Zomi Youth Organization, but now I am call Zou Youth Organization. Once I was called Zo naptol, now, everyone is fighting for the name of Zo. For a short sighted visionaries, the changing of these age-old names might be hard to embraced, but when they come to know the real meaning of it, they are proud to sacrificed their belongings for the cause of brotherhood.

One very big question

If we really realized we are the descendants of our ancestor Pu Zo, why don't we accept the already existed names for our apex body? United Zomi Organisation was initially form to be the single administrative umbrella of the Zomis in the world. That is why UNITED was added. If it is only for the Zou people, no need of putting UNITED. The founding fathers of the UZO had given the name UNITED for all of us. My point is, if we really realized and accept the name Zo or Zomi, why cant we just accept United Zomi Organisation and our apex administrative body. From the beginning, If there is any proposal in this regards, I hope the Zou people who can sacrificed would not hesitate to do so. It shows that there is something in our Zomism/ Zominisation or Zomi Nationalism.

Now and Then

The Zomi movement of Pu. T. Gougin era and the present era have so vast differences in terms of existence and aims and objectives. The Zomi National Congress which has reached every nook and corner of the Zogam/Zoram, and which movement has been recognized as an ideal movement by multitude of the so called Zo hnahtlaks (Zo descendants) was founded for the sole purpose of uniting all the Zo descendants of the world. It was well accepted by the Chins of Burma, Zomis of India, Kukis, Mizos, Hmars, etc. It was even accepted and helped by the Indian Government. It has its offices in Manipur, Mizoran, etc. But, there were some people who did not accept the movement, but now realized the importance and try to invent (or have invented) a movement of their own to replace the age-long movement, instead of reviving/restoring the age-long movement. You know why?

Zolengthe.Net & ZouWorkshop shows

The current movement is not a popular support on the part of the Zous, but supported by some high ranking politicians for their personal gains. This is proven by the fact that 91% of the anonymous voters of the Zou Workshop Forum and 81% of the anonymous voters of the Zolengthe.Net disapproved the Zomi movement (before some sort of customary compromises has been made). This shows how painful were the hatred and annihilation that has been injected in the hearts and minds of our people. The movement is not a popular support, but supported by some of our politicians for their personal gains.

2007 & 2008 Zolengthe Survey

We are settling with different tribes and in different localities, villages, districts, states and nations. To put this in a very compact format, we are living in different localities of Lamka - New Lamka, Zomi Colony, Zoveng, Kamdou veng, Tuibuang, Nehru Marg, Simveng, Hmuia Veng, Chiengkon, Phailien, Zellang veng etc. If we want to belong to either side of the very opposing forces, we will suffer a blow from the other side of the tribe. Support Zomi council; our people are going to suffer in Kamdou veng, Tuibuang, Sugnu road area, Chandel, etc. Support Kuki movement; your people is going to suffer in New Lamka, Simveng, Beulahlane, Teddim road area, Guite road area, etc. Therefore, the best option for the minority Zou tribe in Manipur is ....................................... (I leave it blank to be fill in by the readers).

Note for readers: This article should not be taken in the opposite or negetive sense. I am just jotting down what I had observed and dispersing my humble thoughts. I pray that, this article might serve as that of an important corner stone for the completion of Jerusalem wall.

.::. All my articles can be view here: MELTED HEARTS .::.

No comments:

Post a Comment