Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fourth time World Champion MC Mary Kom

Fourth time World Champion MC Mary Kom who bagged her fourth champion's title in the recent Amateur International Boxing Association (AIBA) at Ningbao city of China and Laishram Sarita arriving at Imphal's Tulihal Airport. M Rachancdra, BC Sharma and other officials of Manipur Police Sports Board and many players received the players with much gaiety and pomps.






Photo Courtesy :: Rishikhesh Wangkhem / Hueiyen News Service
==============================


MC Mary Kom retains world champion title
Source: Hueiyen News Service

Imphal, December 02 2008: WHEN MANIPUR boxer M.C.Mary Kom boarded the flight to Ningbao City to take part in the fifth World Women's Boxing Championship, not many expected her to retain the gold medal for the fourth consecutive time. Yet, the pint-sized 46kg boxer, who returned to the capital on Monday, bagged the top honour with a comprehensive 7-1 verdict over Romania 's Steluta Duta.

"Since I was out of boxing for two years, many people thought I won't be able to repeat my performance again in the rings," said the 26-year-old, the mother of two.

"But I was confident that I will be able to make it," said the inspector in Manipur police.

"In the final, I was pitted against the Romanian boxer whom I had beaten in the final in Delhi last time.

I knew if I stay cool, I will be able to win again.

That's exactly what I did" .

Mary Kom is sad that despite her tremendous success at the world level, she has not received any recognition from the government.

"Women boxers in India should be treated with more respect.

They have been bringing laurels for the country regularly," said the world's most successful woman pugilist.

"I was extremely pained when I was denied the Khel Ratna Award," she said.

"I had three world titles under my belt but the selection panel did not find me good enough to get the award.

"I was very upset because the panel had some eminent sportspersons, including the legendary Milkha Singh.

At least they should have realised my contribution.

It happened to me twice," the boxer said with regret.

Mary Kom said despite being ignored time and again, she was not going to call it quits so easily.

"I hope they include women's boxing in the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games," she said.

"People will then know how I bring honours for the nation.

"I am sure my greatest moment will be when I will be able to represent the country in the London Olympics in 2012.I am waiting for that day," she said.

"It is not easy to pursue the sport when you have two kids back home waiting for their mother.

But fortunately, I have a very caring husband, who takes care of my sons.

Both of us see to it that the family life is not disturbed," said the boxer.

Source: http://e-pao.net/GP.asp?src=Sport3..031208.dec08

No comments:

Post a Comment